Thursday, October 9, 2008

Important update

Here's a quick recap of some of the schedule-related things we decided in class this week:

1) I have given everyone an additional week to complete the final draft of Essay #2, so it will be due Oct. 22 instead of Oct. 15. I will return copies of your rough drafts with comments Oct. 15, so you can consider my feedback in addition to your classmates'.

Please review your graded copies of Essay #1 as you revise Essay #2. I didn't put all that red ink on the first essay for my own amusement! I hope to see significant improvement from each of you in several areas: correct grammar, good sentence flow and paragraph structure, solid logic, clarity of expression, and proper use of citations and/or quotations.

2) The mid-term quiz will happen next week -- Oct. 15. I plan to reserve about an hour for it at the end of class. You can expect to see material from both the readings and class discussions on the quiz. Here is a partial list of terms and concepts you should brush up on:

thesis

theme

hyperbole

charicature (& grotesque)

exposition

denoument

dichotomy

rhetoric

egalitarianism

narrative

The differences between an arguable position and an inarguable one.

Consideration of counterarguments in rhetorical situations.

Outlining (as in a technique for preparing to write).

No comments: