Monday, June 1, 2009

Welcome to the course (Summer '09)

Welcome to the course blog for EN103Z1, my section of English I. All the posts below/before this one are from previous semesters, so they don't pertain to my summer students, but you're free to look around to get a sense of what past assignments have been like, etc.

The "Course Syllabus" link now is current for summer session.

Here's a recap of the assigned reading to be discussed Wednesday, June 3:

Joseph Kelly, "What Are Essays?"
Stanley Fish, "Conspiracy Theories 101"
Judy Brady, "I Want a Wife"

Here's a partial list of key concepts I discussed in class tonight. If you need me to review, be sure to ask next time:

Grammar
Style
Rhetoric
Thesis (explicit vs. implicit)
Understatement, overstatement (aka exaggeration or hyperbole)
Satire
Irony
Caricature

See you Wednesday evening.

No comments: